About the Research Office
The Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate Tribal Council saw the need for a Tribal Research Office due to the number of research projects that were ongoing within the Lake Traverse Reservation. Tribal Council passed Resolution SWO-14-055 on June 3, 2014, whereby the Tribal Chairman directed the Director of Tribal Education, Dr. Sherry Johnson, to partner with CRCAIH, to establish Tribal Research Codes, Protocols and Process, flowcharts, forms and establish a Local Research Review Board. The Research Office is currently located in the Sisseton Wahpeton Oyate Tribal Administration building, Ska Quadrant, Education Suite.
Heather Larsen is a SWO tribal member enrolled in the Buffalo Lake District. Presently, she resides on the Lake Traverse Reservation with her family.
• Master of Education degree in Administration of Student Affairs, Counseling and Human Development, South Dakota State University
• Bachelor of Art degrees in American Indian Studies and Liberal Arts for the Human Services, University of Minnesota, Morris
• Associate of Art degree in General Studies, Sisseton Wahpeton College
• High School Diploma, Flandreau Indian School
• Worked in the student support services field at our Tribal College for five years.
• Worked in the recruitment and retention field and mentored students at the high school and college levels.
• Worked in the human services/social work field at the Sisseton Wahpeton Oyate for two years.
• Worked in the financial assistance field with the SWO tribal members located on and off the Lake Traverse Reservation.
Please feel free to contact Heather at any time with any comments or questions.